Saltdean 3-0 Whyteleafe

Saltdean United secured a vital 3 points on Sunday, as they ran out comfortable winners against Whyteleafe at a wet and windy Hill Park. A great strike from Millie Carter, along with late efforts from Amy Sinden and Georgia Bridges secured a first league win for The Tigers since the reverse fixture back in August.

The home side came out all guns blazing, and they opened the scoring with just five minutes on the clock. After receiving the ball on the corner of the 18 years box, Carter showed great composure to curl a sumptuous effort over Whyteleafe keeper Amy Jenkins and into the top corner to the delight of her teammates and the Saltdean bench.

After securing that early opener, the home side continued to press and cause their visitors problems. Paige Walder should have doubled the hosts lead on 16 minutes, when she blazed high and wide after a great run and cross from Filippa Millqvist. Billie Phillpot was the next to go close for Saltdean on 22 minutes, when she fired high and wide of the angle after being played through by Carter.

After a lacklustre opening half hour, Whyteleafe finally created their first opening on 32 minutes, Megan Smith firing a speculative driven effort well wide of the Saltdean goal.

Walder had two further chances late in the first half to make it 2-0 to the home side, her first effort whistled high and wide from the edge of the box, before she stung the palms of Jenkins with a curling free kick from distance. Despite their dominance, the hosts went into half time knowing they needed a crucial second goal.

Saltdean began the second half rejuvenated, Phillpott firing into the side netting from a tight angle on 47 minutes before Bridges saw her close range effort tipped over the bar by Jenkins just moments later.

For all their good work, the hosts were almost undone by a routine ball over the over top which sent Smith clear through on goal on 66 minutes,  however she could only prod tamely wide, a big let off.

As the weather continued to worsen, the tempo of processing’s became frantic as both sides struggled in the harsh conditions. The hosts were frustrated again on 72 minutes, Carters shot from the edge of the box lacking any real conviction to trouble Jenkins!

With the clock ticking down towards added time, Bridges cross from the edge of the box clattered the Whyteleafe upright, before the hosts finally found their second to kill the game off in injury time.

After winning a free kick just outside the box, substitute Kellie Larkin whipped in a great delivery which found the bottom corner of the net via the faintest of touches from Sinden, a crucial moment after Whyteleafe had begun to exert some late pressure.

With the visitors now deflated, Saltdean made it 3-0 deep into added on time with another well worked goal. Millqvist once again turned provider, her low cross found an unmarked Bridges who had the simple task of guiding the ball into the net to round off a perfect afternoon for The Tigers.

Joe Mctiffens side saw out the remainder of injury time with no further difficulties to secure only their second win of the season, and pick up a crucial three points in the process. That win moved Saltdean to within three points of Whyteleafe, with another crucial home game to come against Denham on Sunday before the Christmas break.